Friday, December 23, 2011

All I want for Christmas is a transporter

After the public announcement of our departure with the 1st blog post, I realized there were plenty of relatives and friends I wish I could have taken the time to tell in person instead of via a blog post.


I wish I had the chance to visit everyone. Go see them at their new house, newly renovated apartment, see their kids, or sit down in a coffee shop, around a nice meal and a great bottle of wine and talk. But I couldn't get to it. Busy personal/professional life, schedule conflicts and different cities. 


We were living in Quebec City and most of my relatives and long time friends are in or around Montreal. It has been a pleasure to tease them about the Habs, the mayor Tremblay or the road conditions, but even an easy 3 hour drive is just enough to make it think twice about a quick back and forth the same day.  You can't go just for a coffee and come back.  It has to be an entire day thing. It's frustrating because it's so close.  You don't need to take a plane. When I think about it. I saw my mom 4 or 5 times this year, compared to 2 or 3 times when I was living in Vancouver.  So then why not live in Vancouver?


The other main reason why I couldn't tell earlier is that as a team manager I wanted to make sure I was leaving my current company and my team in a good condition.  Making sure they where in good hands and on a good path.  So I had to tell everyone just a week before my last day. I'm sure my friend Liza Wood know what I'm talking about. She has a good blog about management, process and leadership.  And now these days the only way to keep something out of the public is not to tell anyone.  Because soon enough it ends up on Facebook.  


So all I want for Christmas is a transporter



No comments:

Post a Comment